Stories of Change: Winners announced!
The winners of three categories (film, architectural design and text) will share a £1,500 prize, and their work will be featured with other selected submissions in an exhibition at Arup’s Phase2 gallery in London, running from July to October 2011. This follows two previous collaborations between the Bartlett and Arup which hosted some of the most interesting work by London-based students who are pushing the boundaries of architectural and urban design – Digital Hinterlands in 2009 and Constructing Realities in 2010.
Winners of Stories of Change announced!
- Architectural design: ‘FilterHouse’, Paul Cohoon, University of Waterloo
- Film: ‘Concrete Mushrooms’, Elian Stefa and Gyler Mydyti, Polytechnic of Milan. www.concrete-mushrooms.com
- Text: ‘The City’, Thomas Jenkins, Slade School of Fine Art, UCL
Types of entry:
- Architectural design
Submit a design in pdf format with a 300 word description connecting the Drivers of Change cards to your current local context. PDF documents should not exceed 15MB in size, 5 pages in length.
Submit an original short film, or a link to a film uploaded online, in h.264 format (mp4) along with two stills and a 300 word description which connects the film to one or several of the issues in the Drivers of Change cards, within your current local context. Films should not exceed 20 minutes in length.
Create a text-based response that provides an interesting narrative reflecting issues in the Drivers of Change cards. This could be a poem, a letter, a blog-post, even a currated collection of tweets. Output should be submitted as a static pdf document (maximum size 15MB). Selected entries may be converted into digital format for showing online and/or within the final exhibition.
Frédéric Migayrou, Bartlett Professor of Architecture
Jennifer Greitschus, Head of Exhibitions, Arup
Duncan Wilson, Foresight Group Leader UK, Arup
Ruairi Glynn, Curator and Lecturer, Bartlett Faculty of the Built Environment, UCL
Maxa Zoller, Film Curator and Lecturer, Goldsmiths College and Sotheby’s Institute of Art, London
- Entrants must be a student or group of students registered at a school, learning centre or institute of higher education, anywhere in the world.
- Entrants must identify how their project responds to one of the exhibitions themes of change. A full list can be found by browsing the Drivers of Change cards which examine key macro-issues, such as water, energy, climate change, demographics, poverty, food and urbanisation. Digitised versions of the cards can be found here. Submissions must respond to one or more of these cards. All entrants selected to feature on the website and in the exhibition will receive a special edition of the Drivers of Change publication.
- Entrants must complete the entry form (downloadable below in PDF format) and include it with their submission.
The selection of the best responses will be showcased in Arup’s Phase2 gallery between 12th July and 1st October 2011. A further selection will be presented online.
This competition is now closed for entries
Winners of each category were announced at the exhibition opening reception on 12th July 2011.